‘Spa Living’ Condo to Get New Spa Operator
Sarah Kershaw | New York Times | 12/15/2010
American Leisure revives shuttered spa at 515 East 72nd, opening to residents in March.
The developers of an East Side condo tower conceived as one of the country’s first “spa living” residences said Wednesday that they were forming a partnership with a new spa operator, American Leisure, after severing ties in October with Miraval, the resort based in Tucson.
The high-rise project was announced in 2006 as Miraval Living, and about 50 percent of the apartments have been sold since it went on the market in 2007. But a dispute over payments and delays over opening the building’s spa led the developer, River Terrace Apartments, and Miraval to end the partnership, leaving residents of the 365-unit building, which is now called 515 East 72, with a shuttered, unfinished spa.
American Leisure designed the spa at the Setai Fifth Avenue, a new hotel-condo in Midtown, and operates the spa and fitness facilities at the Biltmore, a rental tower on West 47th Street, among dozens of day and residential spas in the New York area. James W. Sheehan, the project manager for River Terrace Apartments, said that under the terms of the deal the monthly charges that residents pay for access to the fitness center and spa — and are calculated depending on the size of the apartments — would be reduced by 40 percent. The previous average monthly spa fee was about $250 for a one-bedroom apartment and about $400 for a two-bedroom.
The spa, which is part of 40,000 square feet of space devoted to amenities that include a fitness center and an indoor swimming pool, is now expected to open in early March, Mr. Sheehan said.
Source: New York Times
This article has been revised to reflect the following correction:
Correction: December 16, 2010
An earlier version of this article misstated American Leisure’s relationship with the Setai Fifth Avenue. American Leisure designed the spa, but it does not operate the facility.
- 'Summer Experience' May Bring Bath Houses, Changing Rooms to Asbury's Water Front
- Another Successful Launch by American Leisure
- What Recession? Broken Sound Unveils $13-Million Club Enhancement
- These Doctors Make Condo Calls
- American Leisure Recognized as Visionary Operator of Club 515, East 72nd St.
- Setai Spa Wall Street Chosen as One of the 5 Great Spas in the USA
- Best Adult Time-Out
- Spa Luce Voted City’s Best Los Angeles Spa
- Reality Check
- 515 East 72nd Street Announces American Leisure as Its New Lifestyle and Spa Management Company
- ‘Spa Living’ Condo to Get New Spa Operator
- Largest-Ever Amenities Package in Brooklyn Unveiled at The Edge